The ‘Meanwhile in Oxfordshire…’ project will enable funding of low cost refurbishment work, for around 100 vacant units across the County of Oxfordshire, including market towns like Bicester, into a useable state, to allow for the activation of vacant or underused space and the wider animation of the high street and economic centres.
Oxford City Council and OxLEP will be working together to deliver this project and they will have the following responsibilities:
- Identifying suitable vacant properties and work with landlords to secure them for meanwhile uses.
- Identifying suitable occupiers against locally agreed criteria, but to include start-up, expanding and diversifying businesses, arts, cultural and creative organisations, community groups and social enterprises.
- Entering into meanwhile leases with landlords and enter into lease/licenses with occupiers.
- Agreeing affordable rent levels with the City and district councils to cover the costs of the operator during the project and as part of the future business model once capital funding has ceased.
- Commissioning and overseeing light touch fit out work to make the building safe and allow occupation for the meanwhile activity and ensure the premises is handed back to its landlord in an agreed condition.